Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Simple Gospel

First of all, I want to apologize for what a slacker I've been. When I realized it had been over a month since I've posted, I felt really bad. At first I wanted to blame it on the rigors of grad student life, or the fact that I've been spending so much time with my family, but to be honest, the reason I haven't been posting is because I've been slacking off. I need to change that.



Speaking of my family, I was reading with my two-year-old little boy in the Friend, and I really started to realize how simple the Gospel is. It's like the saying "Everything I needed to know I learned in kindergarten." Well, it's kind of like "Everything I needed to know I learned in Primary." Now, I'm not saying that there aren't complicated things in the Gospel, nor am I saying that we don't need to learn anything beyond Primary, nor am I saying that there isn't an immense, infinite, beautiful expanse of important and essential truth beyond even what we can learn here on Earth, but rather that the essence, the core of the Gospel is beautiful and simple.

To illustrate, we teach that "I am a Child of God? and "I Know my Father Lives and loves me too." Little children learn that "I lived in heaven a long time ago, it is true;" and that "My life is a gift; my life has a plan." They know that the foundation of gospel living is in "Trying to be like Jesus." They memorize the Articles of Faith and learn the other fundamentals of the restored gospel. They also learn that "[they] can be a missionary now."

Primary may not teach us everything we need to know to get through this life, but it seems to me that the foundation for the solution to any problem we might have can be traced back to the pure, simple, fundamental and beautiful truths that we have in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I hope that we can all "humble [ourselves] as [our] little children, and ... be saved with [our] little children." (Moroni 8:10)

No comments: